>My guess is that while the CD-ROM drive is backtracking from the end of the
>last track to the start of the first, it interrupts the S/PDIF output, so
>when it starts to play the first track, the pre-roll effect is lost.

Quite right.  The digital output is interrupted whenever the drive is seeking,
so "repeat-all" would not help.  (Does this funtion exist of IDE CDROM drives
or would it be a function of the CD player program?)  The "drag-and-drop"
feature of MD Editor 2 is useless with a digital connection from the CDROM
drive because of this behavoir when the CDROM seeks between tracks.

The only way I've gotten track 1 using the CDROM drive is to "rip" it.