from what i understood(and its fairly rudementary) there is RAM in the device which
holds xseconds of sounds all sound that leaves the device comes through there, the
device then fills up the ram as its emptied(using FIFO, first in first out). when the
device skips the sound keeps playing out of the ram, and the ram stops getting filled
untill the read head gets settled again.  since the device is actually reading faster
than the sound is playing if its fast enough it can fill the ram before you run out.

but like i said its a fairly rudementary view, i talked to a engineer once at a party
and its been years so i may be off.

excuse my rambling

marc britten