With a firmware update, nomads behave just like large cumbersome
hardrives that need a proprietary application to organize files.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of Churchill, Guy
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 10:19 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: MD: Serious contender for MD

Shawn Lin wrote:

> Laptop HD-based MP3 players are nothing new.
> Here's one that's rather popular with MP3'ers right now...
>
> http://www.nomadworld.com/welcome.asp

The Nomads are 6Gb too ... but is this replaceable ?
The Nomad is kinda large (more like a portable CD player)
Do the Nomads have the ability to act as a portable HDD (for
any file type?)
I do like the ability to record WAV uncompressed at 48Khz .. Nice.

The bottom line is MD is getting swamped with all these other
new technologies and unless they stay on the ball and start
adding professional and consumer use requirements (like faster
then real time transfers) I believe it will go the way of the
dodo (or should I say the Tassie Tiger which there is a "small"
amount of hearsay evidence that it may not be extinct just yet).

How many others are starting to feel this way ?

Funny part is, if Sony had been listening to it's early adopters
(like the good subscribers to mdl) then they would have had
the jump on all these new technologies and truly cemented
MD's place in history like Vinyl, Compact Cassette and CD (now DVD)
and not considered by the next generation to be just another DCC,
DAT, LD, or BETA  (all of which have their use, but in the "general
public's" view are dead and buried formats).

Cheers   GC

PS:  I recently came across some old video cassettes that I don't
know the history of .. they are huge (50% larger then VHS and
really thick) I've never seen a player that can play them ...
anyone know something about these?