Richard Lang asked,

| One question (and maybe I'm the ony one wondering this): what *is*
| "emphasis".  It sounds interesting.  What does it do?

I once asked the same question on this mailing list.  The explanation, as I
understood it, was that early ADCs were not good at representing higher fre-
quencies, so soft, high components could be lost entirely.  So the highs were
preemphasized and recorded as if they were louder than they truly were, and
recordings to which preemphasis had been applied were marked as such so that
playback equipment could know to undo it.

On MD, bit 0 of the TOC entry of a segment is set to 1 if the segment is
preemphasized.  Preemphasis isn't needed these days, so it's highly unlikely
ever to see that bit turned on.