John Salomone wrote,

| Ok gang, what's the deal here?  I've bootlegged several shows recently using
| my Aiwa AM-F70 and my Core Sound mics and battery box.  I use the "line-in"
| setting since I have the powered mics.  I guess this constitutes a digital
| input then?

No, it's analog, unless you were using a digitizing microphone (which for all
I know doesn't exist) or had an in-line ADC between the microphone and the
recorder.

| I can only assume so since I can't make digital copies of the recordings
| (SCMS prevent).

Are you positive that SCMS is the reason?  Microphone input should be laid
down as SCMS-penultimate just like any other analog source digitized by the
recorder's on-board ADC.  The F70 doesn't have digital output; what other
unit are you playing the discs on to try to make a copy by digital transfer?
Maybe it's malfunctioning.  More likely your inability to copy has nothing to
do with SCMS.

| So if I use the "mic" settings to record will it be a different story (i.e.
| it will be a SCMS-free recording)?

It will be SCMS-penultimate.  Recordings on MD, DAT, CD, or DCC are never
"SCMS-free"; the bits are always there and they have to be set to some value
or other, whether that setting is to allow one generation of further copying
(which I prefer to call SCMS-penultimate), unlimited generations (SCMS-unlim-
ited), or no further copying (SCMS-final).  Computer sound files and analog
storage don't have SCMS information; when they are copied to a digital audio
format that implements SCMS, the SCMS bits have to be set somehow, usually to
penultimate.

|   I guess the next question is what are my best SCMS stripping options?  I
| don't want to mess with building the elektor kit.  Must I wait until I get
| my new computer and do this on CD-R using the Sony PCS-1 link?  But doesn't
| this yield an anlog copy anyway, something I can already do with MD to MD.

If your computer has a soundcard with digital inputs, and you have an MD unit
with digital output, you could rip digitally to the computer.  Since computer
sound files do not support SCMS information, you'd avoid interference from
SCMS without needing to go analog.