Third time trying to post this e-mail

I got an MZR90 in December of 1999, and have had some mysterious "problems" with it.
First of all, I would put a fresh new rechargeable battery in and it still blinks "LOW
BATT" even though it is fully charged. I either have to use the AC adapter to start up
the unit or use a dry battery. Although a minor problem, it still is very frustrating
to have to carry around the battery case when going on my recording sessions with my
microphone. Secondly, the battery life seems to have diminished greatly. Now I cannot
record on a fully charged battery for more than 1 hour! However, it may be time for me
to get a new battery. I also have an MZ-R55 (bought in Mar. 99) and I can use
batteries in it but it is hard to tell whether it is the battery or the unit because
it dies after 30 minutes of use. Thirdly, once a mysterious problem happened (with the
r90). I was recording a cool track from the radio. I finish and hit stop. The recorder
flashed data save and toc edit, as usual, then flas!
!
hed low batt. But when I reboote
d the unit, there was no track there! The time remaining indicated that it was
recorded, but I couldn't get to the track! It also recorded over some of the last
track on the disc, even though I pressed the end search. Also, ff/cueing was really
slow on that track, and it would stop at 1:20 (although the song continued to play for
about 30 sec) and it was one of my favorite songs, also! I also put the disc in my r55
to check out the source of the problem. The R55 did the same thing: I couldn't get to
the track, and ff/cueing was slow, too. I deduced that the problem was the disc, and
not the r90, although it wrote "bogus" information to the disc. So I lost about 4 min.
of time on the disc. But that's not all. I used the same disc to record two of my
favorite songs (using the r90). Even though there was about 14 min. left, the rec
light still flashed even though there was enough space. Afterwards the thing locked in
data save mode! I left it for an hour or so, guessing it was ju!
!
st slow. But it was still flashi
ng, and I assumed it was going to stay so I canceled it. End of songs on disc. Well,
at least most of them. To describe it, it was horrible. I lost several parts of my
fav. songs. There was no track, I lost all available space on the disc, and little
snippets of the songs I recorded (I mean like split-second snippets) were scattered
around the disc, and several fake track marks were added, AND I lost many parts of the
songs already on the disc. It is VERY difficult to explain but the bottom line is that
the songs on the disc were ruined. So I recorded all I could of what was left to
another disc (with the r55, I did not want to risk another problem occurring) and took
the "defective" disc and recorded several songs on it my other recorder. The R55
showed the correct information, the songs were written correctly, however the TOC was
still messed up. Then I used it to erase the whole disc and now I use it for
microphone recordings (instead of rap music). I guess this is one of t!
!
hose "phantom problems" that jus
t pop up out of nowhere. And this wasn't the first time I've had a problem like that
with the r90. I think it has done little things to my discs (however correctable) in
the past but this one was the worst of them all. Since then I've been saving my money
to get a new unit in case this one should break. (I've been looking at the MZ-R700,
the 900 is bad and is too expensive) Just thought I'd share a little experience...any
comments are appreciated.