"Francisco J. Huerta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>They are more stylish (YMMV), silver, they don't exert as much
>pressure as the KSC-35, and, according to a lot of reports I've seen
>in Headwize, due to less pressure on the ears they don't sound the
>same as the 35s. Less bass. Also, they seem to fall easily.
>
>People who have the 35s and the 50s actually prefer the 35s.

Francisco:

Exactly (I was actually the one who wrote the review on Headwize comparing
the two ;) ). Here's the big summary:

The 50s have more "modern" styling, as they have larger "silver" plastic
enclosures... probably to compete with Sony's awful but popular
"StreetStyle" line. The 35s are black and, to many people, kind of ugly ;)

50s are a bit more comfortable because of the new "rubber/wire" flexible
earclip (kind of like a cheap Gumby doll ;)  However, they have a spring in
the earclip, and the rubber/wire doesn't hold, so the earclip eventually
moves back to the original position, meaning that while the 35s would stay
on your head no matter what, they 50s will fall off if you move too much.
This is exacerbated by the fact that the 50s are noticeably heavier. So the
35 is better for exercise or other uses where you'll be moving around.

35s have black, rubber coated cables. 50s have gray, fabric coated cables.
The gray fabric is stiffer than the black rubber, but this could be because
they are newer right now.

50s protrude much more from the head because of the new silver casing. "Not
only are they stylish, but they draw attention!" hehe, j/k

The two models sound almost identical except that the 50s have slightly less
bass response than the 35s, most likely because they do not press as tightly
against the ear. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The 35s have always
been my favorite of the 35/Porta/SportaPro line (all of which use the same
driver) because the other two models have a little too much bass (they both
fit more tightly still). So while the 50s may have a bit less bass than the
35s, they still sound more balanced than the Portas or Sportas. Keep in mind
that any of the four have stellar sound, and you can't get, IMHO, a better
set of phones for <$50 than one from this line.

Marc Britten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>are these great for sport use? i have a pair of cheap sony wrap
>arounds that i bought on a trip to replace a different pair of
>headphones that got crushed(don't ask) and i'm looking for something
>w/ good sound, but will also stand up to the bouncing of outdoor
>cross country running.

The KSC-35s are perfect for running. I use them every day for exercise.
Unfortunately, the newer KSC-50s are not -- as described above, they are
heavier, and fit much more loosely, so they tend to fall off much more
easily :(

I would enthusiastically recommend the 35s for running. If you find *them*
too lose, you can get the SportaPros at Circuit City for $19, and nobody
every accused them of not fitting tightly enough ;)

las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[re: Etymotics]
>At $300.00 you really, really, really have to be into listening with
>earbuds big time! You can buy a pair of Sony Glasstron TV glasses on
>eBay for that kind of money. The ear buds included with the glasstron
>are on the big side, but have decent sound and you get to view video
>on a virtual 52" screen.

Larry, you just really have to be into good sound is all ;) $300 is pretty
standard for top-of-the-line headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Etymotics, Grado
325, Sony 3000, etc. Yes, you could get that Glasstron TV thingy and ruin
your eyes while listening to bad sound, or you could get a pair of amazing
headphones ;)