* Thus spake Luis Dodero [2001-06-12]:

> Ok, well I know this has been discussed in the past, but it's never
> been clear to me. I have an MZR-700 with "G-shock" (40 seconds?) of
> Anti shock.
200 seconds I think.

> Anyway, while playing, the unit stops spinning the disc, presumably to
> save power, and spins up again. My question is, when it stops spinning
> the disc, is it reading off the buffer memory?
I can't think of any other source.

> If so, wouldn't that drop the 40 second rate?
Yes. In my opinion (guesswork) the disc spins up again when the buffer
is about half empty. The MZ-R700 then tries to fill the buffer with an
awesome speed (I haven't heard any other MD units yet, but in my opinion
that things sounds like a jet turbine (the data sheet says something
about 3200 rpm)) and spins down again, thus limiting the time of
vulnerability to shocks. I guess that's the "G-Shock system".

Yes, if the disc would be spinning all the time, the buffer would
always be full, but the player would always be very loud to always
maintain that 200 second buffer.

Today, I took my new MZ-R700 out and I can say it is 'jog-proof'. No
problems.

Oh, one problem: How do you all carry that MD-player while running
around in mother nature?

Christoph