David wrote:
>>How would that make MiniDisc platform-dependent? Are you predicting
>>that people who use other OSes will stop all MD use in a huff over
>>being left out of the first release of NetMD? I'd hope not!

No, not at all. What I'm saying is that "NetMD" was clearly developed to
attract MP3 users to MD and to keep current users who have contemplated
moving to MP3. However, if the software necessary to use NetMD is only
available for Windows, users of other platforms will never see any of those
benefits.

>From a marketing standpoint, it would be stupid for Sony not to make the
software cross-platform. Sony is going to be plugging NetMD big time. Sure,
NetMD systems will still have all the functionality of today's MD, but all
the PR will be talking about is NetMD. Users of other platforms will assume
that MD isn't compatible with their systems, and will just buy MP3 systems
(just like they did while Sony was saying "our MD recorders are only
compatible with Windows). However, Sony has a history of being quite stupid
when it comes to marketing.

Mike wrote:
> Possibly, although I question why they would do such a thing, because at the
> very least they have analog inputs. It's not like their OS's can't do that.

Mike, I wasn't referring to analog vs. digital (which doesn't matter anyway,
since other platforms can use digital connections, too). I was referring to
the computer software that appears to be necessary for NetMD.