Jim explained,

| Because of the RIAA, my consumer grade stand alone CD burner will only
| use audio CDR or CDRW.  I tried using the media from my computer and it
| rejects them.

That's what it's supposed to do.  So the reason for your question is that
you want to find out whether the deck is going to be any good to you at all?
Is it hard to find music blanks there?

| The consensus is that the information is stamped on the CDR and can't be
| duplicated.  There may be a way to defeat that function on the recorder,
| but I don't know for sure.  Maybe there is a web page about hacking
| them.

Which model do you have, Jim?  Certain Pioneer and Philips models can be
tricked; first you need to insert a taxed music blank of the same capacity
(74 or 80) and rewritability (R or RW).  Then there might be a trick for
swapping in a data blank in such a way that the recorder remembes the value
of that byte from the music disc instead of reading it afresh from the data
disc.