Regarding Sony’s proposed Net MD, right now all audio MD recorders record
in some form of ATRAC.  Would it require major additional electronics to
be able to record MP3 files directly on to Mini Discs from a PC, via
either USB or Firewire?

To me this seems akin to Sony’s eventually having to start making VHS
recorders and tapes.  If it was possible, the difference would be that the
MD format could still remain intact, both physically the way Mini Discs
are today, and electronically.  But also including circuitry for accepting
PCM and converting it to ATRAC.

That way you could maintain backwards compatibility in still being able to
record in ATRAC and playing ATRAC MDs made on other recorders.  If it
meant that you could not mix “MP3 MDs” and ATRAC MDs on the same disc, I’d
have no problem with that.

For the longest time Sony has been making different means of storage for
the same type of electronic equipment, e.g. Sony has their own digital
Camcorder format, makes mini DV camcorders and also uses the “Stick” for
storage.  I they even make an MD camcorder?

Actually Sony does make a recorder that can record MP3 files, their Data
MD.  But the discs are very expensive, not playable on audio MD recorders
and I don’t think that they are capable of being connected directly to an
audio system to play MP3 files as audio files (like some DVD, auto and
portable CD players can play MP3 CDs.

Lawrence