las wrote:

> Shawn Lin wrote:
>
> > Hope my explanations and silly analogies make sense. :)
> >
> > Shawn
>
> Shawn,
> That was great!!!  I didn't think that the analogies were silly.  Thanks,
>
> One question though, aren't Watts a measure of the electricity consumed?  Isn't the
>formula amps X volts = watts?  If that is correct then
> it would be like the analogy about mass and weight.  The mass of an object will be
>the same on any planet, but weight depends upon the
> planet's gravitational pull.
>
> In space solid objects still must have mass but they can be "weightless".  So amps
>are the amount of energy consumed at a certain
> voltage.  It's really just a convenient way for the electrical companies to rip you
>off :)

Yes, you're absolutely correct, Watts (Power) is Amps (Current) *
Volts.  So you are right, the power (work performed) of a current is the
current times its voltage.
Sounds like you have it right.  I'm glad the analogies worked for you.
:)
It's not exactly a way for electrical companies to rip us off though, as
to determine total power consumed (past tense) you do have to take into
account both amps, volts, and time.  This is why the meter on your house
is in kWh (kilowatt-hours, power * time).  This is because you're billed
by how much power is consumed and for how long.  Although I do agree
that the electric companies probably rip us off some way or another. :)

Shawn