> You need a deck with digital out and a sound card with
> digital in.  Once you get the files on to your hard drive
> they can be converted into any type of sound file.

You don't *need* digital I/O; you could record it like you would an LP
or cassette, via your soundcard's line in. For example, I record
cassette to MD at the home stereo system, then take the MD recorder (a
R700) to my computer and record from it, to ultimately transfer the
cassette to CD. (For some relatives whose new car has a CD player and no
cassette deck.) It's a lot easier than disconnecting, transporting, and
reconnecting the cassette deck each time. I have a Hercules Game Theater
XP sound card that works nicely for it, too, with front-panel RCA jacks
on the external "rack" for the line input, and the A/D conversion done
in the "rack" instead of in the electrically noisy PC. Plug:
http://us.hercules.com/products/product.php3?id=17 for info. Oh, and it
has digital outs and ins, both optical and coaxial.
Of course, keeping the signal digital is always best, but not always
practical.

   2
 [)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 |\  http://rsquared.firest0rm.org/