On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 07:39:53PM -0400, las wrote:
<snip>
> If you decided to upgrade an old computer, your really couldn't do it anymore.  Up
> until a few years ago, they supplied plenty of both ISA and PCI slots.  So if you
> had a decent sound and video card (even modem) you could upgrade by getting a new
> mother board and CPU.
>
> But now even your old memory wouldn't be usable. In their latest high HZ
> processors, AMD uses a special memory that is faster than SDRAM.  I read a review
> where an Athlon 1 or 1.1HZ beat out a P4 1.4HZ.

This isn't accurate - w/ new tbird systems it's up to the motherboard if
you use SDRAM 168pin dimms or the newer DDR memory chips.  If you'd like
to upgrade later, but can't afford memory now, there are boards that
support both types of memory.  Granted, you won't be able to take
advantage of some of the new goodies with the tbirds, but you certainly
have the option of upgrading a couple components at a time.

That aside, memory is cheap, and DDR is worth the extra couple bucks :)
Intel's RIMMS on the other hand, are still quite expensive.

</snip>