> This isn't accurate - w/ new tbird systems it's up to the motherboard if
> you use SDRAM 168pin dimms or the newer DDR memory chips.  If you'd like
> to upgrade later, but can't afford memory now, there are boards that
> support both types of memory.  Granted, you won't be able to take
> advantage of some of the new goodies with the tbirds, but you certainly
> have the option of upgrading a couple components at a time.
>
> That aside, memory is cheap, and DDR is worth the extra couple bucks :)
> Intel's RIMMS on the other hand, are still quite expensive.

I was referring to older motherboards.  The ones that used 72 pin memory.  Even
computers that are a few years old can't use 72 pin memory from still older computers.

In the last 5 to eight years things have changed so for PCs.  My first PC came with a 5
and a quarter inch floppy drive.  I have to pay extra for the 3.5.  IBM was the main
company supporting the 3.5" in PCs.

Years went by and people rejected the 3.5" drives.  It's not that long ago that 3 gig
hard drive was considered huge.  Today many programs are so huge that 4 programs would
fill the entire drive.

Not only has the price of memory really dropped (although after a fire in one of Asia's
main manufacturing plants for a while memory prices went up), but it's a good thing
because you need so much of it to run today's programs.

The CDRW is also really not that old.  Also the DVD ROM drive.  Most inexpensive video
cards seem to have at least 8mb of memory.

Then there is USB and Firewire, both of which have actually been available for a while.
But that's how this whole discussion got started.  We went from almost no peripherals
that used USB to so many that the writer had to add a PCI card so he had more ports
available.

If I remember correctly the device to link a portable MD recorder to a PC uses USB.
But
aside from the faster transmission rates, much of the hype about USB was bull.  Have
you
ever tried to get the USB port to work with a printer?

The new computer we have in an HP.  But I wasted so much time trying to get our HP
printer to work with it, that I finally gave up and connected it to the parallel port
(since it is the computer that my wife uses, it didn't want to mess too much.  If I
made
something else stop working, I'd never hear the end of it).

I still don't see why they can't make an internal MD recorder for a PC.  I'm talking
about an audio MD, not data.  Every CD ROM drive can also ready standard CD audio
"files".  I'm sure that they could make a drive where the ATRAC was a computer program
instead of a chip in the unit.  Why not?

LAS