General Certificate of Secondary Education

(note: its been a while since i was living in england so correct me if i'm wrong)

compulsory education ends at 16, at the end of that you move on to either A-Levels or
vocational schools.  the GCSE's are like a combination of our SAT's and GED testing
combined.  pretty intensive with a total of 12 tests in different educational areas.

anyways, an american should never try to understand the english schools system, it
will drive you insane. trust me i tried really hard and never really got anywhere with
it. i think its engrained in you at birth or something