I am still fairly new to MD-but I'm sure that I LOVE
it!- so please forgive the siimplistic question.

I have a Sharp MD-MT15, and I use it for recording
live audio, MP3s from my iBook, and the occaisional
radio broadcast.  How do I know what level to set the
mic at?  I can't seem to figure out this "mic level H"
and mic level L" business.  I do know that once I
begin the recording, to set it via the volume controls
so that the indicator is at a certain point while
recording, but is there a system to determine before
recording what the mic level should be at?  My first
recordings have a bit at the beginning where you can
tell I am fiddling with the mic level.  How do I avoid
this?

Denise