Gerard Naude wrote:

> I was just wondering when md recorders are going to become smaller than the
> actual disc. In theory only half of the disc needs to be covered by the MD
> recorder(to reach the middle of the md to turn it, and to cover the disc
> opening). Are current MD recorder sizes restricted because of the size of
> the disc?

Hi.  What would be the point of making the unit smaller than the disc?  If you
did that the overall size would still be the size of the disc at the very
least!  Personally I think that the Sony R50 is as small as I'd want a unit to
be.

Suppose you made a unit smaller than the disc, you would still have to have the
unit closed on at least one size.  That side would be a little longer than the
disc.  Plus you would still have the disc's size.

There are practical reasons for ot making a unit smaller than a disc too.

LAS