Thank you to all that responded to my question
regarding mic levels.  Especially the explanation of
the "gear change".  I had experienced some blanks
spots in the early seconds of recordings, and didn't
know why.

I DO have the manual for my MD, but find it totally
inadequate in explaing the whys and wherefores of some
things, such as mic levels.

I will check out the MDrecording list on Yahoo as
well.

Thank you all again.  You really ARE a helpful bunch!

Denise