> I remember those.  They would sell them as Toys R Us.

No!  That's a different unit than the one I'm talking about.  The unit  I'm
speaking of was a color mini VCR.  I can't remember if it required a special
tape or not, but I do remember that the tapes were pretty small.

If I remember correctly, the unit you are talking about was a camcorder.  I
believe it used an plain cassette.

> I read years later that some artists/film-makers bought them and used them
> precisely because of the moody, grainy imagery.

I've heard that also.

Larry