From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Mark Ligtenstein
Sent: 24 September 2001 01:21
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MD: Net MD (slightly OT)

At 14:28 -0500 19-09-2001, Shawn Lin wrote:
>Gerard Naude wrote:
>>
>>  How come everybody says how crappy windows is but nobody wants to use
>>  something else? I have tried to convert people with no luck. People
moan,
>>  but never make an effort to try something new :-( Try anything but
windows
>>  (Linux, Mac, BeOs), or that blue-screen-of-death-security-hole OS is
forever
>>  going to rule your pc. I admit I still use windoze because i'm forced to
>>  still do some things in Visual Basic. But for most programs there are
other
>>  OS equivalents.
>
>I don't know about you, but ALL my friends and family run Windows.  Even
>acquaintences that I meet run Windows.  What are the stats now, 85% of
>all PC users run Windows?  Most software in the store and most new
>shareware is also for Windows.
>Even my friend that's big into Linux owns a Windows box.
>
>Shawn

That's too bad Shawn. I've had Macs for many years and my present
iMac DV+ does everything I want. It also works beautifully with all
my MD equipment through an iMic (USB to analogue converter.) When I
look at my few friends with Windows machines, I'm always amazed about
the time they need to keep their systems running. (Most of my other
friends own Macs!)
I own a computer because I want to be productive. I don't want a
computer for the sake of maintenance to the OS. I haven't made the
step to Mac OS X yet, but I'm very happy about the stability of Mac
OS 9.1 and now 9.2. And apart from some latest games, there's nothing
you can't do on a Mac that can be done in Windows.The biggest
advantage of the Mac OS is of course the flawless application of USB,
FireWire and Ethernet. I tested my CD-RW today by recording an audio
CD at 12x with Roxio's Toast 5.0. (Files were on my harddisk, I
wouldn't risk copying a CD directly this way)

While the CD was burning in the background on my Sony FireWire CD-RW
I was downloading some songs through LimeWire and my ADSL modem
(Ethernet connection) while playing other songs through iTunes and
the iMic on my stereo. Everything worked at the same time and no
buffer underruns or other problems occurred. I think that was quite
an acid test for the stability of Mac OS. This should work on a
Windows machine too, but I don't think anyone is going to risk a
coaster or a reboot with a test like this:)

iMark