>This is hilarious!!! Does Michael Jackson NEED to protect himself!?!?! Sure,
>people will copy his CDs, but really, Jackson and his label will make more
>money than many small countries, even if no copy protection is implemented.
>They claim it is to protect artists, but in reality it is intended to ensure
>maximal profits for the labels and the biggest selling artists.

The big selling artists are not the point. Sure nobody cares whether
Michael Jackson is worth several billion or several billion and one; least
of all, I suspect, him.

However, it is not just the "star" who is involved with making a hit
record. There are dozens of session musicians, graphics artists, recording
and mastering engineers and assistants behind every record, all working on
a shoestring living.

I happen to be a personal friend of the trumpet player on the Beatles'
"Penny Lane", one of the biggest selling records by one of the biggest
selling bands that the pop industry has known. Try to guess his royalties
from that record. Millions, right? A penny a copy would have made hundreds
of thousand in 30 years. Nope, lower. Thousands? no, still way too high.
Surely it must be a few hundred? Nope - way off.

His royalties from that record to date total 11 pounds. That's right, less
than 20 bucks for millions of copies sold over 30 years. It's an insult and
an absolute disgrace for one of the country's finest and most talented
musicians (unquestionably more talented than any of the "four") to be
treated this way. He's in his sixties now, wanting to retire but unable to
afford to.

Thousands of extremely talented musicians the world over are in this
position. Arguably this has more to do with contractual arrangements than
copy protection, but it does emphasise that for those involved behind the
headlines every record sale does indeed count, and every lost sale to a
pirate hits a lot of people, not just the so-called star.

Christopher Hicks