>One of the things I'm psyched about is the non-analog recording ability
brought by >the Xitel dongle.  I'm assuming, however, that the R700 has
the ability to record in >analog, as well, tho, correct?  Is there any
functional difference between digital and >analog recording?  Will, for
example, the recorder not be able to put in track marks >in analog mode?

I believe the R700 is able to record in analog as well as digital, the
same line out is probably used.  A friend of mine has the R70 (the
non-mdlp predecessor to the R700) and it can record in digital and
analog.

On the R70, when recording in analog, track marks are inserted wherever
there is 2 seconds of silence, so they will usually be inserted between
tracks (and occasionally *within* tracks - these track marks are easily
erased of course), unless the CD is mixed dance music or something, in
which case you may have problems - before I had a CD player with an
optical out I found it best to monitor these recordings and insert the
track marks manually while recording (leaving the CD player display in
track time remaining mode helps a lot here!).

I imagine the situation will be the same with the R700, but if you want
to check perhaps consult the equipment browser or see if there is an
R700 manual at www.minidisc.org.

Richard Lang
Senior Solicitor

Duncan Cotterill
Christchurch, New Zealand

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: (++64)-3-379-2430  fax: (++64)-3-379-7097
http://www.duncancotterill.com

This communication contains information that is confidential and which may be subject
to legal privilege or subject to copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not use, distribute or copy the contents of this communication.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail,
facsimile or collect telephone call to +64 3 379 2430 and destroy the original.  We
virus scan all e-mails and electronic media but are not responsible for any virus or
alternation.