>I think the cheapest way of getting long recordings like that is to run
>the audio to a VCR and record on the audio track on that.  I think you
>can even set a program for it on the VCR.
>
>After you have it recorded you can copy it back to your minidisc and
>split it up.

This is certainly what I do, using NICAM audio recording on standard
videotape. Use standard play mode, as results are usually disappointing in
long play. 4 hr tapes are no problem. NICAM records digitally, but performs
data compression by using non-linear law AD and DA conversion, so the
results are acceptable but not quite as good as DAT (which is straight PCM).

NICAM encoding is very different from ATRAC used in minidisc technology,
which uses psycho-acoustic prinicples to suppress some low-level signals in
the presence of larger amplitude information. Unfortunately, domestic video
machines usually provide no direct way of getting at digital outputs and
hence transferring the signals digitally to minidisc. Some instrumentation
machines will do this, but are not in the same price bracket as domestic units.

Peter Rice