From my own experience I can have made many FM-broadcast recordings
on my JVC HiFi VHS recorder. It works great, but it is not very
convenient for playback.
Later I record the tape to my MD-deck and do the editing. Besides
that, VHS tape is not the best type of storage in the long run. Older
tapes deteriote and MD doesn't have that problem.

The big advantage of this system is that I can record radio using the
timer of the video. I've even used VHS HiFi to record internet radio
broadcasts (my computer is connected to my stereo). This solves
storage problems for people with smaller hard drives. It's cheaper to
buy a cable than a bigger hard drive.

The recorded MD sounds as good as the original broadcast. HiFi VHS
(in single play mode) is so good, that you can't tell the difference
between the broadcast and the recording. I think this is the most
underused feature of HiFi VHS recorders. And the biggest problem now
is that on cheaper models the manufacturers leave out the audio in
sockets.

But if you're in the market for buying a new VHS machine, make sure
it has audio in. It is a feature you'll love!

iMark