The sweet smell of morality
How scent can shape our thinking

By Courtney Humphries  |  February 14, 2010

Can a clean smell make you a better person?

That's the provocative suggestion of a recent study in the journal
Psychological Science. A team of researchers found that when people
were in a room recently spritzed with a citrus-scented cleanser, they
behaved more fairly when playing a classic trust game. In another
experiment, the smell of cleanser made subjects more likely to
volunteer for a charity.

The findings suggest that simply smelling something clean makes
people clean up their behavior - that a smell can provoke a mental
leap between cleanliness and morality, making people think
differently about the world around them. The authors even suggested
that clean smells could be employed as a tool to influence how people
act.

The idea that a smell can affect something as complex as ethical
behavior seems surprising, not least because smell has long been seen
as a "lower" sense, playing on our emotions and instincts while our
reason and judgment operate on another plane. But research
increasingly shows that smell doesn't just affect how we feel: It
affects how we think, in ways that are just beginning to be
understood.

Other studies have confirmed that scents can trigger generosity, and
that they affect our decision-making processes and judgments rather
than just emotions. Even when smells aren't on the forefront of our
consciousness, our minds are trying to match them with other sensory
information to interpret our surroundings.

The sense of smell, it turns out, is more complex and influential
than once thought. Marketers are already trying to use smells in new
ways to shape our spending. And a better understanding of smell has
broader implications as well, helping explain the hidden forces that
motivate our perceptions and behavior, and even opening up new ways
for us to experience the world.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/02/14/the_sweet_smell_of_morality/