For Pianist, Software Is Replacing Sonatas

By JAMES BARRON
August 20, 2010

The pianist Robert Taub was puttering around the house one afternoon
in 2004 while his teen-age daughter was practicing for a violin
lesson - a Schubert sonatina in A minor. His assessment of her
playing was diplomatic: "She needed to be reminded about notes and
rhythms."

What followed was a brainstorm that explains why Mr. Taub - who made
his reputation playing two distinctly different B's, Beethoven and
Milton Babbitt - has put his performing on hold, and why "software
entrepreneur" now tops his résumé.

"I thought, wouldn't it be wonderful if she could take a photograph
of her page of music and hear it instantaneously," he recalled.
"She'd know what the right notes are, and what the right rhythms are,
and she could imitate what she heard."

Soon he was dreaming of a device - or maybe just software running on
a computer - that could do everything he had learned to do in music
theory class: read and play a printed musical score, and listen to a
passage of music and transcribe it, down to the key signature, the
tempo and the time signature. He said that a quick check showed that
nothing then on the market could do all that.

So Mr. Taub started exploring the world of machine-learning
technology. Before long he had organized a startup company and was
spending more time on conference calls than at the piano.

"This is what I eat, dream, sleep," he said. Now 54, he last
performed in the summer of 2008 in Aspen, Colo.

The company, MuseAmi, now has half a dozen software engineers and
about as many patents applied for. The company's name (pronounced
myooze-ah-MEE) is a play on words: "You become the music: muse am I,"
he said. "But it's also a musical friend."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/arts/music/21taub.html