By Chris Foresman | Last updated about 2 hours ago
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/09/verizon-ceo-throws-wet-blanket
-on-iphone-rumors.ars

Though rumors about the possibility of Apple launching a CDMA-compatible
iPhone on Verizon have been picking up steam lately-our own sources have
told us that an LTE-capable iPhone has been in testing in Boston for
several months-Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg suggested Thursday that it
might not be coming in January as many had hoped.

Speaking at a Goldman Sachs conference in New York, Seidenberg made no
mention of an iPhone model being made to work on Verizon's current
EVDO/CDMA network. Instead, he "hoped" that Apple would consider making
an iPhone to work with its nascent LTE 4G network.

"We would love to carry [the iPhone] when we get there, but we have to
earn it," Seidenberg told investors. "I think 4G will accelerate the
process, and any other decisions Apple makes would be fine with us.
Hopefully, at some point Apple will get with the program."

Those comments may be bad news to the significant percentage of current
iPhone users locked to AT&T in the US who would likely switch to Verizon
if given the chance. Our own reader survey earlier this year also
suggested that there are plenty of existing Verizon customers who would
be interested in an iPhone that worked on the largest US network. Though
Verizon has been very successful with a strong lineup of Android-powered
smartphones from Motorola and HTC, pent-up demand for a CDMA-compatible
iPhone definitely exists.

However, other evidence suggests that a CDMA-compatible iPhone is in the
works, even if Seidenberg isn't willing to work with Apple to bring it
to his network. Component suppliers have hinted that Apple is prepping
to build at least 3 million CDMA iPhones in December, which would track
with a manufacturing ramp-up for a rumored January launch.

As mentioned above, we've heard through the grapevine that an LTE/CDMA
iPhone has been in testing on Verizon's network in the Boston area, and
that the rumored January launch was contingent on Verizon meeting its
stated goal of launching its LTE network in 30 major markets by year's
end. If Verizon isn't on track to meet that goal, it may have resulted
in Apple changing its mind. Still, a CDMA-compatible iPhone could launch
on other networks, including Sprint in the US, and China Mobile and SK
Telecom in Asia.

Whatever the problem is between Verizon and Apple, though, customers
certainly don't care-they just want the popular device to work on their
preferred network. It would be beneficial to both Verizon and Apple to
work out a deal, and work it out soon, while demand is still high.