MOVE OVER STERN; HERE'S THE POPE

By TIM ARANGO
NY POST

May 11, 2006

http://www.nypost.com/business/65809.htm

The company that brings you Howard Stern uncensored is joining with the
Archdiocese of New York to create a 24-hour Catholic radio channel.

Sirius Satellite Radio, whose marquee act is the foul-mouthed Stern, will
launch "The Catholic Channel" this fall in partnership with Edward Cardinal
Egan, Archbishop of New York.

The programming will feature talk, music, call-in shows and live daily
masses from St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York, as well as periodic
appearances by Cardinal Egan himself. The channel will also include content
directly from The Vatican.

"The Catholic Channel represents a splendid opportunity for the Church in
the United States," Cardinal Egan said in a statement. "By using this
modern medium, we will be able to communicate directly with the Catholic
faithful as well as anyone of any religious faith who might be interested
in what the Catholic Church is saying and doing here in New York and around
the country."

Sirius boss Mel Karmazin, who was also Stern's boss when he ran Infinity
Broadcasting and has played a guiding role in the shock jock's career,
said: "The partnership with the Archdiocese is a significant step forward
in our development and mission to provide our listeners with the finest and
most distinctive Christian programming in radio." The new channel will join
other religion-themed programming on Sirius, including Christian Talk and
the EWTN Global Catholic Radio Network.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.