http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-6548885-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

The Web is finally beginning to live up to its promise. It's becoming
the people's media platform--not just a place for us to consume media,
but the platform we can all use to create and disseminate it as well.
The rich and powerful in the "mainstream media" (MSM) are facing a
challenge from the relatively weak and underfunded: bloggers, vloggers,
MySpacers--basically anyone with an idea and access to low-cost,
pervasive technology.

The massive competition from the entire community of Web users is making
MSM, including CNET, better. It has to be to remain relevant. Television
news shows can't get away with faking results. Newspapers can't tolerate
bad reporters. Irresponsible journalism gets called out these days and
doesn't survive. And that's good.

But the growth of easy publishing tools also means that there is more
misinformation hitting the public than ever before. Uninformed opinion
is as easy to find as professional, thrice-edited content. Everyone,
apparently, has a blog, a video blog, or a podcast in them.

And while a lot of good content is out there, there's so much that's
bad, it can overwhelm the good. That's not just an inconvenience for
those trying to pay attention to good media. Bad media--the stuff no one
wants to read, hear, or watch--can drag down an entire community
publishing site. MySpace and YouTube, for example, need to make money,
but few advertisers want to put their content on unregulated sites
filled with amateurish content.

Worse, there are sites that attempt to leverage the undeveloped ethics
of some bloggers. PayPerPost matches marketers up with bloggers: write
up a service or a product and get paid. No experienced journalist would
accept this kind of payola. No A-list bloggers would, either. But do
readers know that? The existence of this program casts a pall over
blogging and journalism as a whole.

And that makes it a great time to be a good content creator.

The Internet has not dragged down journalism--quite the contrary:
pressure from amateurs, which I define as people who don't earn their
living from journalism, not as people who aren't good at it, is forcing
professionals to do a better job.

Meanwhile, sites such as YouTube and Digg are acting as the American
Idol of the Web, propelling talented amateurs into the limelight.
Previously a journalist who worked his or her way up in the field and
landed a nice job at a major media outlet would worry primarily about
competition from other people who did the same. But now journalists have
to worry about being usurped by teenagers with camera phones,
"nincompoops ranting in their underpants," and geeks who've earned the
love of the Digg community.

I say it's a good thing. As a crusty old journalist myself, the influx
of the community into my field is making me work harder. Every time I
visit a technology conference I'm reminded of this: there are almost
always bloggers in the audience who are posting not just commentary, but
live news. They might not have a big readership, but a little love from
Digg can change that in a heartbeat. Since anybody with a laptop, a
network connection, and a blog can now publish just as easily as I can,
it sharpens my perception. I realize that simply posting is not enough;
I have to apply all of my experience and expertise to stay on top.

And community sites that rate and rank content give us immediate
feedback, which makes us all better by keeping us in close touch with
what our audience wants (that is, if we can learn to ignore the comments
of the mean-spirited; there is just as much garbage in commentary as in
original content).

That "amateurs" now cover the same items that media professionals do is
improving the breed. There will always be a place for
professionals--people who have made it their life's work to report or
comment on the news. The amateurs doing the same--even haphazardly, or
without training or experience--perform a service to themselves and to
others, and they also keep the pros on their toes. The better they get,
and the more public their work becomes, the better for all of us.

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.