Jentzen Mooney wrote:

> Also I was wondering if I create a new wiki from 1.14 do you recommend
> setting up the SVN repository if I plan to upgrade in the coming months
> or years?

I don't use SVN for upgrades, just for supporting an extension I wrote.
  When upgrading, I just download the zipped files from mediawiki.org
and install manually - that's what I'm comfortable with and it works
just fine even if it takes a few minutes longer than some automated
process.  Perhaps someone else can give another view on SVN's suitability.

> Do you have any wiki resources I should check out, so I can become a
> better admin for  wikimedia?

Mediawiki.org is pretty good if a bit difficult to find your way around.
    Some information is well organized (most of the Manual and the
extensions) while some is kind of disorganized.

Mwusers.com is a forum that is not bad - but I have a conflict of
interest in recommending it, since I'm one of the moderators there.
It's fine for most of the basic and mid-difficulty stuff but not so
great on the most esoteric wiki info - there aren't enough volunteers
offering help to provide a really broad base of knowledge.

Wikipedia can contain a lot of useful info from the wiki user's point of
view - how to use the wikitext features for example.  A lot of wiki
beginners have trouble with wikitext while this is very well explained
and documented on Wikipedia's help pages.

Mike