Right. So I'll give it one last shot before you go try and create your own
extension in the next two years. It appears to me like you are thinking in
problems instead of opportunities.

Let me translate some of the remarks you made, and provide some more
information:

(1) 'to set up a page to be translated, you have to not only set it up as a
project, but break the parts of the page into individual translateable
chunks': Opportunity speak: Wow. This is flexible. You can choose to put
translate tags around the whole page content, where a parser will break it up
for you, but it is also possible to keep the awkward formatting away from
translators, and selectively keep out that formatting from the translatable
content. Would there be any chance that this can be done automatically? My
reply: sure. We are a little short on developers, but we are certainly
prepared to help you further develop on the Translate extension if you are
interested and able to.

(2) 'whole thing seems extremely cumbersome and inconvenient': Opportunity
speak: I don't understand fully how to do this. At first glance it looks hard.
Can you provide some additional information? My reply: sure. We'd be glad to
help you. Please join us on Freenode's #mediawiki-i18n and we will see if we
can get any misunderstandings out of the way.

(3) 'translatewiki.net currently doesn't have ANY documents or webpage
projects, only software interfaces': Opportunity speak: I cannot find which
content pages are available for translation at the moment. Do you have some
links? My reply: sure. See
http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Special:PageTranslation

(4) 'the documentation needs to be re-written to make it clear how to use it'.
Opportunity speak: I cannot find the documentation. Where can I find it? My
reply: Ouch. You got us there. Having the little development resources that we
have, we have always invested in adding and improving functionality, and
documentation is outdated at best. On mediawiki.org it is not present. We
would appeaciate help in that area. Also see (2).

Cheers!

Siebrand Mazeland