On Tuesday 24 November 2009 12:16:03 Kent S. Larsen II wrote:

I am not a translator, so I can only report what our test translators and my
own experiments show.

> At a minimum, a translation extension needs to present the source
> document/page and target text side-by-side in large blocks of text. The
> target should allow complete wiki formatting, while the source should be
> "locked" so that it can't be edited on the page. It must be very easy to
> set up a source document to be translated and very easy to copy over the
> formatting of that document when needed.

You get a 2-pane view of each segment - the source on the left and space to
translate on the right.  As far as I can see the formatting automatically
follows exactly what the source uses.  You do not need to do anything about it
at all.

> Beyond this, it would be very useful to be able to look up individual words
> from the source document in various online dictionaries/glossaries (perhaps
> clicking on a word brings up a new window with the definition(s) from
> Google translate and other bilingual sources) so that the translator can
> easily consult and choose among alternative translations.
>
> In addition, a good system would include some way of accessing past
> translations in other contexts, so that the translator can see how he/she
> has translated the same word/phrase before, or, even better, how many other
> translators have translated similar phrases (see Google's translation
> toolkit or many of the translation software packages used by professionals
> -- this feature is known as "translation memories")

These features are not present in on-line editing, but it does have the
ability to export a .po file which is, I understand, the standard format used
by translation programs.  You can edit externally, then import the result.

The drawback is that it is slightly less controlled, in that you could
conceivably have one person translating an article on-line at the same time as
another person translates off-line.  Clearly you would have to set up some
sort of control system to deal with that.  But then in any system you need to
know that only one person is working on a file or page.

> I'm not particularly well versed in how good translation software works, so
> there is likely other features that would be useful. But I think the above
> covers the most basic needs.
>
> I encourage those who need a translation extension or are involved in
> programming one to look at Google's translation toolkit for an example of
> the basics (Google's toolkit isn't particularly good -- the commercial
> packages are much better -- but it does give an idea of what a translator
> needs).

I much prefer to take the word of people who are professional translators.
Ours tell me that this extension is good.  Siebrand did give you links to
further reading and examples.  It doesn't sound as though you followed them.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group