Hi Javier,

The short answer is that I can't help you...I can only tell you what I did and
maybe someone else
will give a better reply so that I can learn something, too.

Javier Bezos wrote:
> CREATE TABLE `wl_archive` (
>   `ar_namespace` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
>   `ar_title` varchar(255) character set latin1 collate latin1_bin NOT
> NULL default '',
> [...]
> ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;
>
> and now they are like
>
> SET @saved_cs_client     = @@character_set_client;
> SET character_set_client = utf8;
> CREATE TABLE `wl_archive` (
>   `ar_namespace` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
>   `ar_title` varchar(255) character set latin1 collate latin1_bin NOT
> NULL default '',
> [...]
> ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
> SET character_set_client = @saved_cs_client;

This is the exact problem that I had.  I had a database with a mix of English
and Japanese and could
see everything fine.  I then checked both the database and the system and found
out they were both
set to "latin1".  If so, I don't know why it had worked for so long...

So, what I did was change the database and the MySQL system to utf8.  But then
the database also has
to be converted and this failed miserably for me.  I followed these steps:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Convert_latin1_to_UTF-8_in_MySQL

which did not work (more specifically, the "Convert dump" step).  In the end, I
re-typed the
Japanese (which wasn't a lot).  So maybe you might have better luck or someone
else can help you.
Or maybe you can make some sense of the above link and succeed where I failed.
:-)

Good luck...

Ray