On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Uwe Brauer <o...@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hello
>
> This is a real nightmare. A Mac crashed, the hard disk could
> be saved. Right now it can't be booted. That hard disk contained
> the wiki of our department.
>
> I don't know precisely the version of the OS (most likely Mac X
> 10.4), nor the version of mysql (most likely 5.3.x) and to make
> things worse I did not generate a dump of the mysql data base.
> I have however "access" to the database in the sense that I have
> a copy of the files /var/lib/mysql/maqwiki
> (maqwiki is the name of the database)
>
> I followed the advice offered in the mysql mailing list
> namely
>
> [+]
>   > service mysql stop
>   > cd /var/lib/mysql
>   > rm -rf *
>   > tar zxvf maqwiki.tar
>   > rm -rf ib_logfile*
>   > chown -R mysql.mysql
>   > service mysql start
>
> However after having installed the mediawiki software (I
> stick for the moment to 1.9.3) and trying to connect to the
> database I only see empty pages.
>

>    - Could  it be that the  database  was damaged when the  hard
>      disk crashed?
>       As a matter of fact when I have a look into the
>       /var/lib/mysql/maqwiki
>       directory most of the  files are very small in size with the
>       exception of searchindex.MYD and searchindex.MYI. I
>       have no idea whether this is "normal".
>
>    -  I did not do the recover process correctly. Is there
>       any "hardcore" mysql command I could use to check the
>       database?
>
>    -  the connection between the mediawiki conf and the
>       data base is broken. How can I check?
>

> Any help is very much appreciated.
>
> Uwe Brauer

Yes, but ideally you should find someone who already knows SQL and
MySQL a bit to help with this...

The files being small is not necessarily disaster.  If you Wiki was
small the table files will be small.

Look at the Mediawiki logfiles, see if they're indicating any database
problems.  If they are...

Log in to the database with the mysql command line command and run the
command "show tables;"

Compare that list with the tables in the Mediawiki software
documentation page.  See if anything is missing.

Then you can review the table contents with "select * from {tablename};"

--
-george william herbert
george.herb...@gmail.com