On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 00:05:32 -0800, Markus Krötzsch <mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org> wrote:

On 17/01/12 22:52, Gordon Joly wrote:
On 17/01/2012 15:05, Markus Krötzsch wrote:
but I wondered if there is a more wiki-specific message to use that
anybody might have prepared.

Also, as was noted at wikitech-l:

> It seems Google has advised to serve a 503 (Service unavailable) HTTP > code during blackouts to avoid them influencing their search engine.

Maybe just a redirect to en.wikipedia.org in the server conf or .htaccess???

I have now done it by temporarily replacing index.php with the file found at

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/index.php_blackout

This short file has an easy-to-modify text and sends a 503 response as
suggested by Google. Feel free to use it. The result can be seen at:

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/

Markus

That's pretty unnecessary. Using the BeforeInitialize hook is good enough.