On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Haim (Howard) Roman <ro...@jct.ac.il>
> wrote:
> > Is there a way to see the wikitext of an article in read-only mode, i.e.,
> > such that I cannot accidentally change it?  This can be useful, of
> course,
> > for copying wikitext to another article.
> >

> You could get it via the API. What you're looking for is prop=revisions
> with
> rvprop=content[0]. An example query for [[API]] on MediaWiki.org[1].
>
> -Chad
>
> [0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Properties#revisions_.2F_rv
> [1]
> http://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=revisions&titles=API&rvprop=content

Another way is to click "View source". Which, even in read-only mode, will
bring up action=edit. The Edit page will show a protected text area with
the wikitext source (but no edit toolbar). The text is not editable but it
is selectable and you can copy it to use in another example, as you
describe.

For example:

http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/index.php?title=Sandbox/sysop&action=edit

-- Krinkle