On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 13:50 -0400, Dave Humphrey wrote:
> The fact that your phpinfo.php takes 30 seconds tells me it is an issue
> with your server in general and not specifically your MediaWiki.
>
> 1) How many requests/second are you serving and how many is your server
> capable of? For example, if your server is only capable of 10 req/sec but
> you are trying to server 20 req/sec you're going to have a bad time. Use
> Apache's server-status page to get an idea what the current load is and
> "ab" (ApacheBench) to benchmark your server (when it is not overloaded of
> course).
Apache is not stressed by client hits. This is a new site at this
location & currently no one is looking at it.

> 2) You can also check "top" to see what your server load and CPU usage is
> and what is taking up most of the CPU time. It may be Apache (httpd) or it
> may be a host of other issues (dead locked processes, failing hard drives,
> misconfigured components, etc...).
No issues there its a VPS server & all the hardware is good.

> 3) Check your logs for any relevant messages, mainly your Apache error log
> assuming it is enabled. You can increase the PHP error logging level if
> needed as well.
Now here is a LOT of issues. I found a crap load of requests by the
mediawiki software to work on several directories where I had not set
the permissions correctly. I went in and changed those & for a day it
speeded up remarkably, however I went in this morning & checked the logs
& there are a LOT of new errors that are similar so I now am looking
into the mediawiki software to correct these errors. Will post my
results: Thanks for the tip, I guess I just forgot to check the basics.