The answer is not as simple as that.

First let's try to explain the structure a bit. All existing skins are a
combination of a PHP template and a set of CSS. When we say Vector, we mean
the PHP UI template vector, and the CSS that goes with that template. This
template itself only handles everything outside the 'content', which is
usually the sidebar, topbar, footer, the 'mostly static' areas of every
single viewed page. The Vector CSS targets these elements as well, but in
addition also targets elements of the content (some of which it shares with
other skins).

As you might note, it already sounds chaotic.

The currently shipped by default CSS skins (and especially the
MobileFrontend one) are as responsive as is useful, considering the
constraints of the user base, our not too consistent classnames and IDs and
the totally 'unstructured' content that is created by MediaWiki or that is
the output of the wikitext of a page. There are also a lot of constraints
on these classnames and identifiers, because they are widely used inside
scripts of 100s of modules and extensions etc and used and defined all over
the place internally wherever 'content' is generated. And then there are
things like rtl and mixed rtl and ltr environments, accessibility etc to
consider, which most sites happily ignore :)

These constraints are what makes the authoring of a skin a complex task in
MediaWiki-land, especially if you want to target existing audiences.
Writing a bunch of CSS and PHP is easy, making it work across everything
that is currently already in use without pissing of existing customers is
what is hard. Improving the structure, the responsiveness and removing the
technical and historical debt are things we work on all the time, but by
the nature of our Wiki landscape it will be a very slow process, still
requiring some 4 more years to get to where we need to be (just my guess).

To get closer to the answer you were probably looking for: there are no
existing layout classes in use by mediawiki, other than the very new and
not yet widely deployed https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/OOjs_UI layouts, If
you make a new PHP skin, you can add such classes of course (or u add them
by way of JS), but u will break some pages and fixing this 'long tail' is
where your biggest challenges would likely be (and the separately shipped
and maintained responsive MW skins Chameleon and Foreground, might feel
non-responsive due to similar long tails). Experiments in this area are
very welcome, and will feed into the improvements we make. Use the skin
wherever u want, but don't get your hopes up for a deployment to a WMF
wiki, because that is unlikely.

Hope that answers your questions.
DJ