Agree to disagree. As far as per-page ACL what else makes sense in the User
space? Additionally many other wiki software packages offer per-page ACL so
clearly a lot of people don't see per-page access control as being
incompatible with the idea of wiki. Yes there are other tools, but those
tools are not Mediawiki (Extension like the Semantic Mediawiki and now
Cargo I have never seen with other software tools) Many people, as measured
by extensions, desire access control and don't see it as incompatible with
the idea of a wiki or Mediawiki. (Personally I find the SemanticACL
extension to be great when I want to restrict access on a per-page basis)

I would agree with you that per-page ACL is incompatible with a wiki if the
"default" position was to change to restricted access on all pages. But
this not what anyone is seeking. All the best to you.