HI Chris

I was supporting a general position of Boris about the validity of some
needing access control. I currently use SemanticACL so I can use restrict
access on a per-page basis to a self-defined group within a page. It makes
project management easier and it helps when that "page" group doesn't arise
to the level of being a permanent user group.

On a boarder scope, which may be way outside the grounds of comfort, I
support the wiki principle of trust the user. The page creator, if the
admin of the site agrees, should be able to restrict access to themselves,
a self-defined group of users, a user group, or public. Additionally the
admin of the site should be to set the access control rights per Namespace.
So maybe a main namespace page could never be restricted if the admin set
it up that way, but a custom namespace could have creator access control.Of
course, sysops should be able to over-ride the author's preference if it's
a problem and additionally be able to reset the access rights (where access
rights are allowed) how they think is right.

Those are my quick thoughts on access group.

Possible use cases:

1. User Space
2.Project Management -- self-defined page projects
3. Drafts
4.Portal Management
5. Encourage engagement by allowing an individual or group to "own" a page.

I think of more if need be, but hopefully you understand my logic; even if
you disagree that Mediawiki should support it. All the best to you