Hi Brian,

That's a reasonable question. Both this consortium and the MediaWiki
Stakeholders' Group have the general aim of making things better for
"enterprise" users of MediaWiki, but beyond that the two have surprisingly
different goals and approaches. The MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group, or
MWStake, has a large number of goals, but a big part of it, as I
understand, is working with the Wikimedia Foundation and core MediaWiki
developers to make sure that the needs and desires of enterprise users are
taken into account. That sort of advocacy is not what the EMC is concerned
with. On the other hand, MWStake also does some coordination on volunteer
efforts at software improvement, so in that sense the two are more similar.

I'm not familiar with a corporate sponsorship thing for MWStake, but even
if that happens, the two are quite different in terms of their
decision-making approach. Anyone can join MWStake, and then decisions are
made (as I understand it) via discussion and consensus. With the EMC, you
have to pay to get in, and then there's a precise system of weighted voting
to allocate the funds.

It certainly could happen that the two organizations could coordinate, yes.
And some companies could end up being members of both. Nonetheless, I see
these as distinct organizations, and it seems like there's a need for both.

Thanks!

-Yaron