All,

Right now, all methods of getting support for and general discussion about
MediaWiki fall flat in many areas.

*       This mailing list is good for long-form questions and answers, but is
difficult to search leading to multiple duplicate questions. The nature of the
list also makes things like embedding screenshots difficult.
*       [[Project:Support desk]] on mediawiki.org is serviceable, but long-form
questions or answers require a large amount of scrolling due to the narrow
content width in Flow, and again attaching screenshots to illustrate problems
is difficult.
*       The #mediawiki channel on IRC (and related channels) are not easy for
newbies to discover or use, and many organizations block IRC meaning that we
cut off this support method from those at such organizations who have MediaWiki
questions. Like the other support methods, screenshots are also difficult.

As such, I have launched a new support forum for MediaWiki[1]. It aims to make
it easier to not only ask for and receive support compared to the methods I
outlined above, but also hopes to serve as a hub where people who run their own
MediaWiki installations can connect, share tips, and network. To my knowledge,
there is no such “MediaWiki Users Group” outside of mailing lists at this time.
The service is ad-free and content posted is available under CC-BY-SA 3.0 so
that particularly good answers can be used to bolster documentation on
mediawiki.org.

I encourage anyone that is interested to check it out, and please let me know
if you have any feedback, suggestions, or questions about it 😊.

Regards,

Skizzerz

[1] https://mwusers.org