From: MediaWiki-l [mailto:mediawiki-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
chris tharp
Sent: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:18 PM
To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
<mediawiki-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Announcing new MediaWiki forum

Hi Ryan,

Sounds like a great idea, but as it is won't it have a critical mass problem?
Meaning the other methods used right now, like this mailing list, are attached
one way, or another, to mediawiki.org and therefore draw people in. Without a
lot of conversations, and questions answered, it won't show up on Google, and
therefore newbies, and others, won't go. But only by getting a lot of people to
go will questions be answered.

My suggestions to get around the problem described above are: 1. Select a
manageable list of common problems and post the answers to the new forum, 2.
See if mediawiki.org would add a link to your forum on every extension page (or
at the top of every talk page) like they do currently with Wikiapiary (under
the check usage link).

Anyways I wish you good luck with the forum. I hope it succeeds, but fear it
will not get off the ground since it falls outside the needs of the software as
advanced by the primary driver of the software (Wikipedia). Maybe I'm too
skeptical, but having watched the evolution of mediaiwki for years now I've
noticed a decidedly non-enterprise bent to the development of the software (for
example, the 2015 Mediawiki Stakes Holder's survey, as I recall, found an
overwhelming number of enterprise users wanted: 1. easily installation, upgrade
and extension management (fundamentally years later no change, except for the
use of composer for extension management, but at the cost of excluding all
small wiki creators who don't have command line access, or lack the knowledge),
2. Visual editor (same as one -- and nothing about installing  the visual
editor is quick and easy), 3. More skinning and UI options (this one area that
has seen an improvement with Foundation and Bootstrap options available) and 4,
access control and management (this is one area of backwards development: the
most popular access control extension, Lockdown, doesn't work with any
Mediawiki pass 1.26). Additionally the very helpful, Extension Matrix, stopped
working in 2013, which means there has no easy method to find new extensions
for four years. So I hope I'm wrong to be skeptical and I hope your forum
thrives.

Sincerely,

Chris