Donald:

Can you get an attached barcode reader for BMV?

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Stewart, Donald
Sent: Wed 8/8/2007 12:40 PM
To: Janet Duback; MeditechL
Subject: Re: [MEDITECH-L] POC and handheld devices

I saw a demonstration of a device called a Motion tablet a few days ago. It was
fantastic. It was roughly 10 in. by 12 in. by 1 1/2 in. thick, very light,
seemingly very durable, and had a handle. It was the equivalent of a wireless
laptop. You could pull up a meditech session and by clicking an icon, pull up a
box in which you could write on the tablet surface with the supplied "pen"
(which was firmly affixed to the tablet) click ok and walla, it inserted what
you wrote at the windows insertion point as text. You also could pull up a
logical keyboard on the screen and press keys if you so chose. They
demonstrated writing your notes and inserting them directly into meditech. The
accuracy for the demonstration (one of our shift nurses with a difficult to
read handwriting tested this) was better than 99%. I was really impressed with
the device. It would require that IT make sure there was good coverage of
access points, so there would be no "dead spots". The ability to write in your
notes, userid, password, etc looked really great. Carrying this would be like
carrying a heavy clipboard, except when you "write" things into Meditech you
don't have to go back and read your notes and key them into Meditech later.
Also, it was designed to be able to wipe down the exterior completely as
needed. Even has a docking station that can have a keyboard and mouse and spare
battery charging. Much cheaper than COWs, too. (I wouldn't mind having one for
personal use with the handwriting to text feature and I would prefer the pen
over a mouse anytime.)

Is anybody using these devices? Do you have any comments about them if you have?

Donald F. Stewart
Sr. Programmer Analyst
Upson Regional Medical Center
801 W. Gordon St.