I have quite a lot of Drupal experience, including it's standard forum
features, but I have not used the Advanced Forum module.

One aspect that may have relevance, is that I have generally found it
problematic when attempting to 'bridge' different systems (such as would
be the case with Drupal/vBulletin or Drupal/PHPBB). If it is possible or
feasible to make use of a single system (in this case Drupal), or at
least minimise the number of systems that need integrating it will
probably save a lot of headaches with ongoing maintenance and upgrades.

While the Drupal Advanced Forum may not have all of the features that
vBulletin or PhpBB have, it does have many of the most important ones,
and would certainly be adequate to allow community discussion online.  I
understand that Sony Music has made use of it for some quite large
artist websites.

Drupal offers a documented API for developing modules to extend it's
feature set, so at least in this respect it avoids some of the
shortcoming of PhpBB.  Also, I'm sure the Drupal community will be glad
to accept (and help support) the contribution of additional forum features.

Drupal's advantages over vBulletin are it's open source licence, and the
fact that it would not be dependent on sometimes problematic 'bridging'
glue and user synchronisation.

Cheers,
Ross.