The whole situation makes me sick.

All the signs were there.

Maemo updates extremely slow in coming.

The whole Maemo 6 thing turning into Meego.

Meego releases falling flat on their face for no particular reason.

The Linux software development situation at Nokia has been out of
control for a very long time.

So what do they do ?  They jump to Windows !!!????   You must be
kidding !

The problem was the situation got away from them again and again and
again until they were backed into a corner and they had no choice.
Nokia needed Meego to be done a year ago.

Meego development progress has been painfully slow.  I don't know
anything about who is on the team and who is running the show, but you
know there is a problem when deadlines slip and the deliverable list is
vague.

I am very, very sad and angry at the same time.  I had my heart set on
Meego being a large part of my mobile experience.   I've been waiting
and waiting.

Now what ?

As a KDE user, my biggest worry is what is going to happen to Qt.

After that, I wonder if someone is going to step forward and rescue
Meego.    As far as I can tell, Nokia was the only company half serious
about actually using it on a device.   Now that Nokia is gone, I don't
see any impetus for anyone to throw resources at it.

However, we now have a situation on Mobile phones similar to desktops.
Android, Apple and Windows.   All of them locked down way more than they
should be, forcing vendors to do things they don't want to do.

The only glimmer I see out there is HP's WebOS, but that is probably
because I don't know anything about it.

I still cannot believe that Nokia has decided to go with Windows.  I'm
in shock.