Hi,

My 0.02 cents:

I would like to recommend for the UI architecture using QML for the UI
and C++ for the "engine". It is very productive way to make apps that
really shine.
Of course there are multiple ways doing it, but Qt quick is a pretty
awesome way to do rapidly things and it enables rethinking how UI
behaves and is not
bound to some traditional thinking (buttons, sliders, scroll bars,
comboboxes etc., these are so 1980s).

UI design should receive lots of attention since many community
projects have quite engineer's user interface,
and book reader certainly should have very fluent end user interface.
Book reader would be interesting.
There are some examples to look at; for example the iPad book reader
has some things very good, and then
it has some things very bad (one of these partly is because of the
sandbox ideology of the iOS - putting pdf documents
to the reader is very tedious).

I believe that the iPad reader is using some kind of caching because
showing e.g. my pdf documents is unbelievably fast.
It somehow pre-caches the documents that are brought to its attention
before the user starts to read them (I am guessing, but
this could be the only explanation how reading a pdf on a mobile
processor can be so much faster than it is on even desktop computer).
I got this caching broken once, another document was showing inside
one another (apparently a bug, I don't know how to reproduce it, it
just happened).

The gestures on changing page require lots of attention, they need to
be absolutely perfect, otherwise it will be very annoying experience.
On iPad this gesture feels very natural, and physicality is a very
important aspect on making it feel just right. Flipping page by
swiping with hand is not a gimmick, it is
a fundamental usability feature when it is done right and there is
only one way to make it right and there are million ways to make it
wrong and making it wrong is very easy.

One of the basic things in the app would be that it should support
multiple formats, including pdfs (in addition to some ebook formats).

Best Regads,
Karoliina Salminen
---
http://karoliinasalminen.wordpress.com