I've seen a couple of side-discussions on something I'm kind of
interested in - whether MeeGo will run on hardware that wasn't
explicitly designed for it to run on...

>From what I've seen on the list so far, I expect that MeeGo will run
quite well on most modern netbooks, laptops, and probably on most
generic ARM based tablets, etc.

What I'm a little more interested in is cellphones.    I think I've
seen someone post that they expect MeeGo to install fine on things
like the Nexus One, and other android phones.  I can believe that it
would *install*, and would probably run reasonably well as a hand-held
linux box.

The big question is - would it work well as a phone?

I know from my experience with my OpenMoko Freerunner that it can be
non-trivial to build a reliable phone software stack even when you are
working with a very open and well documented hardware stack.

Is it really reasonable to expect that the generic MeeGo Phone UX
reference implementation can be dropped onto a 'generic' phone, and
give reliable phone service?

If not, is it understood yet how much effort it would take to support
a specific phone stack?   Will it even be feasible?

I mean, I love my N900 (most of the time) - but I'd like to know how
wide my range of choices will be when I finally decided to upgrade my
phone...

Warren

--
Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca