On 5/14/2010 1:32, Neil McGovern wrote:
On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:37:44PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
Neil, what is the specific problems you are having with btrfs on "real"
sized storage devices (not for 1-2Gb devices, that's a different issue.)

The remaining issues with btrfs that I'm aware of, (and please note, I'm
really quite excited by it, it'll be great when it's ready)

1) On disk format - This was due to be stabilised by 2009, and it's
still not. A standardised on disk format must be a pre-requisite to
using it as a default file system.

it is stabilized.. I don't understand why you claim it's not.
The upstream developers say it is (but of course they reserve the right to
extend
it with new features, just like ext3 and ext4 have been doing for years),
and have shown since 2.6.30 or so that they can keep it stable.

2) File system support - various utilities still don't support btrfs,
especially bootloaders (RedBoot, grub etc)

MeeGo uses syslinux as bootloader, and we've added support to that (for 1.1).
My understanding
is that grub2 also works with btrfs, but we're not using that.

3) btrfs still does not handle all out-of-space conditions gracefully

we haven't seen any oops like things since 2.6.33-stable anymore....
earlier we saw one or two, and worked together with the upstream developers
to resolve those quickly.

4) lvm useage requires write-caching turned off, but if it's not, it
can't handle the corruption

* MeeGo does not support LVM.
* Why run LVM when the filesystem has a volume manager inside it
* EXT3/4 have the same issue. Running with write caching on and without
barriers (because that's the change LVM does)
  is just asking for trouble, btrfs or ext3.. does not matter.